Saturday, January 30, 2010

Everyone meet Ben Buschke

We'd like to welcome aboard Ben Buschke. He's a kid that kills it on whatever kind of board you can throw at him, whether it's a snowboard, wakeboard, wakeskate, hell, he could probably make a 2x4 look easy to trick. Between unpacking from Turks and repacking for Whistler, he took the time to sit down and let you know what's going on in this action-packed life of his.


UL
Let's get ready to rumbleeee

Ben
ooooo pressure

UL
Haha, meh, whatever, nothing big, no pressure. Getting run outta Turks & Caicos is pressure haha, what happened with that? It looked like you were having a pretty unreal time.

Ben
haha, bad luck I guess… poor weather, cheap local employees, recession spending and my party routine probably didn't help.
But yes there were some pretty unreal times, great lot of people down there

UL
What about that coke gig you had going for a while? What'd you do for them?

Ben
NOTHING! I got trained, which i didn't get paid for and didn't get any hours when I needed them. But I have an insider working on getting me some employment time come spring, which i need to pay for school

UL
Aw damn, doing what? Merchandising? I did that one summer for Pepsi and it was a little terrible.

Ben
Building orders, not sure if its the same thing. Its using a mini fork lift to move around pallets and you stack different cases of soda to go on the trucks to go to stores. It doesn't really seem too fun but, I get paid.
I also should have enough money come summer to just have a fun job

UL
Solid, what’s shaping up with Vancouver? You moving out to Whistler because you're sick of no snow or something?

Ben
well i have a few interviews when i get in one being at whistler which I'm banking on.. hope it works out.
we just got dumped on down at the lou [Mt. St. Louis].. haha no pun intended. But we actually just got a bunch of snow there so it's been a good last few days, I still think we got it just to spite me leaving.

UL
Yea, whistler would be pretty unreal this year to work at with the olympics and all that going on. What's happening at MSLM, any riders getting noticed over that way looking to break out?

Ben
I don't know about looking to break out, snowboarding has become such a scene around MSLM, everyone’s gotta be rocking the new fad. Either they try to dress and act like pros (seen a few Chris Bradshaws) or just wear crazy stuff. With that said the are a lot of awesome riders at louis daily, but they are all super down. They know it's not what they rock that makes them stand out its their riding. They aren't hell bent on being the next Shaun White or that jazz, they just want to ride and it shows… It’s the guys that are idolizing the pros that want to go big time.

UL
Yea man, I hear that, tons of kids around my area are wearing the latest, "coolest" gear and running their mouths and shit-talking every skier... I don't know about you, but from my times outside of Onterrible, a good amount of skiers I've seen and talked to have been super cool and ride a ton harder than most boarders I know.

Ben
oh man i've been riding with skiers a ton as of late, and they do throw it down so hard. The feud between skiers and boarders is over. It's now just the battle between park rats and non-park riders. I cant really get too upset when the non rippers are in the park because i'm just happy when I'm on board, Its just never cool when someone cuts you off when your bombing into a fifty footer but there is always another chair.

UL
Alright, just a couple more to close this out... What's the biggest thing in snowboarding you'd like to see changed by next year, whether it's tech, riders, or a general trend

Ben
I try not to hate but I'd like to see less money being spent on "specialized freestyle lessons". Its just breeding the wrong mentality of snowboarding. The idea that kids have that they can just get their parents to throw out a whole bunch of money at a coach to make their kid a ripper is wrong. To each their own but, since day one of snowboarding I have never had a lesson I got better by falling a lot and riding with guys who are better than myself. It's my own journey and paying money to fast track the adventure seems weird. .

UL
Well put, have fun out west man, and hopefully we'll meet up in Revelstoke if you can get out there at the same time I am

Ben
I'll definitely try man the rev looks unreal

No comments:

Post a Comment