Monday, November 16, 2009

We're People Too

Many people as teenagers, young adults, and often even people who are much further along in their lives are looked down upon because of certain "styles" or "actions" and may feel unappreciated. It's very hard to convey these feelings to others, but the people who have the hardest time are those who are homeless. Every day they are walked past, ignored, dehumanized, shrugged off by so many people (many of who could easily afford to help them out with even as little as a dollar). I know personally I've been guilty of this, but I also try to give to help out when I can with change in my pocket when I have it, and it gives a feeling that can't be put into words. Sometimes all it takes is a little understanding, or even just spending some time with somebody to make them feel better about themselves.

Here's a video that pro-snowboarder/artist Tj Schneider made. It's inspiring to see how the smallest things like giving someone something to draw on, or giving them a portrait of themselves can make them so happy.



Story as told by Tj:
II gave him some money one night and he came over to talk to me.

He said “Sometimes somethings can break a man”

“I can tell you are different , you are a good man.”

I gave Sylvain a gift , I hoped that he would sell it to buy food or a warm place to sleep for the night.

But he looked at me and said ” No … I’m going to keep it”

He’s a lot different than the person I expected to meet.

Clean and Sober , An unfortunate accident left him unable to work. He showed me his scars

told me how close he was to taking heroine to numb his pains

he shook my hand and said “Thank you”


Check out tjschneider.com for more work by Tj, and if you want a look at the "other" fun side of pro-snowboarding by sure to stop by thesnowboardrealms.com

No comments:

Post a Comment